11/28/15

Thankful For Now


I love breaks, but in a way, they stress me out. I almost prefer the regular rhythm of life then the chaos of trying to decide what I want to do with my "free time." Because, let's admit it, time is anything but free.

Yet at the same time I yearn for a break that I might do all of the things that I don't have time to do during the school year. And trust me, the list is long. It calls to me during the busy times and offers me much fulfilment when the next break comes around.

But what I first think to be "plenty of time" turns out to be "not long enough." And I must inevitably face the fact that I cannot do it all.

I avoided that realization this week until Wednesday night when I sat on the floor in my room, exhausted from staying up until 2 in the morning for the past several days in order to fit more into these 24 hours. I prayed to God while Patches walked around me, distracting me with her fur. And I realized that wanting to do many things is a good thing, as many things can give God glory. But being discontent with my current activity because I'm anxious about having time for the next activity doesn't glorify God or produce thanksgiving.

And so I'm on a new mission, and it isn't to do as many things as possible before Monday. It is to be thankful for now and to take joy in one task at a time, trusting Jesus.

When I think about it, there were probably some things that Jesus wanted to do but didn't have time to do. Like the time that He went to a place to pray and rest but ended up feeding thousands of people. Or maybe when He grew up there came a time when He wanted to practice carpentry and also play games outside and He had to decide.

Even Jesus had to decide to let some things go in life because He left His infinite God-form, completely independent of time, and chose to live within the limits of time because He loves us! He did all that He came here to do, yes, but He was limited by time and had to make decisions on how to use time like every other human being. And we too live within the limits of time, and so we too must decide.

And I choose joy.

I choose to know that I won't be able to do everything but that doesn't mean that I cannot be thankful for the chances I get right now to live, love, and create. I choose to work hard at whatever is in front of me or whatever I've decided to do instead of second-guessing myself or inwardly scheduling my day to fit everything in the limits of time. I choose to be thankful for now. 

I choose to put my hope in eternity, an eternity of time to praise God just how He has created me to praise Him. An eternity of time to revel in the joys of life and the beauty of Jesus! Oh, how our hearts are made for eternity! Our souls are created for more than hours and decades but for eternity, and a conflict erupts from the friction between our souls and the world around us. But Jesus is bigger than this conflict, for He is the bridge between time and eternity, the infinite God come as mortal human. And that is all that we need.

Come. Be thankful for now with me. Choose joy over stress. Use time wisely but do not let it rule over you. Put your hope in eternity, an eternity that is coming soon.

Anyway, it's time for me to enjoy my family! Comment below how your Thanksgiving break is going so far! How did you enjoy the time given to you this Thanksgiving? I'm super thankful for all of you reading this post, and I truly mean that! Every comment makes me smile a bit!

Princess Hannah
Hannah
10 Comments

10 comments:

  1. I love this so much, Hannah! Gosh, this is hard. I'm always so stressed over getting everything done that it's hard to choose joy sometimes. Thanks for this great reminder:)

    My Thanksgiving break has been great! It's been nice to have a bit of time to unwind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We over-doers and under-doers alike need to band together and actively choose joy, because it's hard! And I'm so thankful that you've had some time to breathe!

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful. I wasn't going to comment because I do it a lot(ish) anyway, but then you said each comment makes you smile a bit, so why not? :) I love how you said that our hearts are meant for eternity! How true, and how wonderful!

    I'm sort of different than you in that instead of breaks stressing me out because I have so much to do on them, I'm always doing stuff in addition to school, and procrastinate on school, so I get a little stressed about breaks because there's more time to catch up on school...like I'm suppose to be writing a paper. But anywho, haha, it has been super nice to have the whole family home for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm under the impression that there are no such thing as too many comments! And I agree on what you said too. I guess I just expect stress during school, but when I bring it with me during break, I get more stressed out because I shouldn't be stressed, if that makes sense.

      Family rocks! I'm thankful that you had a chance to see them!

      Delete
  3. This is amazing and I totally agree with you. I find myself constantly getting stressed, and I need to remember that I should sometimes put joy first. I'm bookmarking this post for future times, thank you <3

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get stressed so easily as well! And yes, it is a conscious decision to choose joy, so I'm glad to remind us all!

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful reminder! I needed this.

    Also, I miss you, friend! I apologize for not yet replying to your sweet email. Rest assured that it has not been forgotten, and in time, I will properly reply to it.

    God bless!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EMILY! I noticed that you had a blog post yet, but haven't made time to, as you said, properly reply to it! And I'm super glad that you found this encouraging! No worries on the email, and I look forward to your reply!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, Hannah. This was such a good reminder, especially with a full Monday coming up tomorrow. Thank you for this!!!♥ Your posts are always so balanced and encouraging but convicting and inspiring at the same time. God has given you a great gift- so thankful you're using it to glorify him (and encourage others!) ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, this comment (well, all of these sweet comments above) make my heart smile! I agree, I need to remember to choose joy in the slow and the busy times. I have finals starting this week, and you sound like you have a big Monday too. Thankfully, thanksgiving is a lifestyle not a Thursday in November, so it counts for tomorrow as well!

      Delete

No