9/4/18

Jesus is the Grandest Adventure


Adventure is out there.

That's what we've always heard. That's what we grew up thinking and dreaming. We dream of far off places and fantastic experiences. We dream of getting away and finding something truly spectacular.

Adventure is out there. 

But where is there?



During the past year, I've spent a considerable amount of time where most people would consider there is. Five months in Disney. One month in London. Three weeks in NYC. Two weeks in Ireland, Germany, and France. I guess you could say that I've been there this past year.



The funny thing about there is that if feels an awful more like here than I expected. I'm still the same person there as I am here. My body still needs sleep and food. I still struggled with the same things.

My adventures delighted me, but they weren't in and of themselves life giving. They were actually rather draining. I came back from each one tired physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And even after traveling much this year, I'm still searching for there. 




I think that though my mind and heart had adventured away during the past year, my soul had been a little abandoned. The quest for adventure isn't just a heart and mind thing. It is most fundamentally a soul thing. I think that God created our souls to long for adventure.

Where, then, is this adventure that our souls long for?

It is in Jesus, my friends.

Jesus is the grandest adventure. God is the journey that our souls long for.



Jesus is the epic story of love and loss, battles and victory. God is the glorious beauty to behold; He is indeed the Creator and definition of true beauty. Jesus is the driving purpose and excitement of our lives. In God is a rich history, splendid present, and promising future. He is ever unfolding to us more of Himself for us to discover.

That's the truly exciting part. You see, I got to go to some pretty cool places. I saw Buckingham Palace, the Harry Potter Studios in London, the Eiffel Tower, and so much more. However, I didn't go to these places as a participant but as a spectator. I didn't visit these cities as a citizen but as a tourist.



God, though, gives us a place in the adventure. He gives us citizenship in His kingdom. Suddenly, this adventure becomes more than just a stop in our life but becomes our life itself. It is an adventure that doesn't end. It doesn't leave us dry and wanting more.



Following Jesus is the grandest adventure of our existence, not because it is filled with excitement and love and purpose (which is it) but because it is centered around God. And God is with us. Immanuel. And God is for us. Our cups overflows.

I may have come home from a year of traveling, but the real adventure, the grandest adventure, is only just beginning.



So I guess adventure isn't out there after all. Immanuel changed all of that when He brought adventure right here with us.

Jesus, thank you for taking us on this adventure. May we follow. May we worship. May You be glorified.



It's been a while! Perhaps, because this crazy year has settled down, this blog will get some more attention. Please comment below your recent adventures with Jesus and around the earth.

More posts to come about my travels!

Princess Hannah
Hannah
8 Comments

8 comments:

  1. Wowow, I love this Hannah! We are a lot a alike in this area. I am always craving adventure, but I think Jesus just asks that I sit with Him a little more than looking for it out “there.” Such a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you say that Jesus invites us to sit with Him. That hardly seems like an adventure, but it is (as the story of Mary and Martha declares) best.


      Here's to adventuring with Jesus

      Delete
  2. This is such a good reminder <3 Travelling the world is something I've always dreamed of, but I know ultimate satisfaction is only found in Christ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO RIGHT!!!

      And I hope that you do get to travel some day soon

      Delete
  3. I am so grateful that He is our greatest adventure.

    So good to see you back, sweet friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more looking the the great wide somewhere.

      Thank you <3 I'm headed over to catch up on some of your posts right now

      Delete
  4. I've missed your posts! This is such a great insight. I haven't been able to travel to too many places, and so "there" definitely has a pull. You make a great point - God is the "there" for us, gives us a forever home. Thanks for writing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you, too, Erin! Thank you for leaving me so much encouragement! Let's continue to go on the adventure of following Jesus!

      Delete

No